Friday, March 23, 2012

Using Leftovers

Every so often I sort thru all of my scraps and leftovers and either save or pitch. I sort by categories: scraps that are just too small to keep (trash); pieces of cardstock that will come in handy in the future (filed in my "scrap drawer"); pieces of DSP that need to go back into the proper package; and last but not least, card layers that I have made mistakes on but can be used for something other than orignally planned. Yesterday I spent some time sorting accumulated leftovers. Once the chore was completed, I made today's card using pieces from the above categories. The previously textured Crumb Cake layer had rounded corners on one edge but the other edge was embellished with unwanted ink. So I trimmed off that edge, adhered the layer to a black card base and rounded the corners of the card base. The Crumb Cake layer was way short, so I just pulled out a couple strips of DSP to fill in that space on the left side of the card front. I rounded the corners of a previously stamped piece of Crumb Cake (don't know why I didn't use it), layered it on a black layer with rounded corners and centered it on the card front. Now all of the corners on the right edge of the card have rounded corners. I stamped a matching Crumb Cake layer and embellished it strips of DSP for the inside of the card and I now have a great card for a graduation or a promotion or a retirement. To finish it off, this card gets a coordinating envelope. Leftovers are a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea on sorting through your scraps and then actually being sure to create from those that are usable! I try to do this as often as I can!
    Thanks for your very kind comments on my blog and for visiting often, Gail! Hope all is well with your and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete